Moving Forward in Faith
IHM MASS SCHEDULE
Saturday: 5:15 PM (Vigil Mass)
Sunday: 7:00 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:30 AM, & 12:00 PM
Weekday: 6:30 AM, 8:00 AM Chapel; Sat., 8:00 AM only Chapel
Holy days: Vigil Mass at 5:15 PM; 8:00 AM & 11:00 AM & 7:30 PM
1st Friday: 6:30 AM, 8:00 AM & 7:00 PM
Sacrament of Reconciliation: Saturdays 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament: Fridays 8:30 AM to 6:30 PM in the Chapel
Parish WebStore offers a completely confident one-stop shop for Catholic products through a trusted source that works completely in support of the Church’s mission.
For Baptism, First Communion, Confirmation and any other celebrations, IHM Parish will receive a 12% credit for each online purchase made directly through the Parish Webstore link. So order now!
The Mission of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish is to foster full participation in the life and mission of the Catholic Church. This participation is expressed in: Worshipping God in spirit and truth, particularly through the celebration of the Eucharist and the other sacraments of the Church; Proclaiming, in word and deed, the Good News of Jesus Christ to all persons; Loving and serving the needs of all our brothers and sisters, particularly the poor and the needy; Creating and nourishing the Christian Community in family, parish and society; Teaching the saving message of Christ, so that all believers may come to a deeper understanding, conversion and witness to Christ.
The History of IHM Parish
Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish began its life with 253 families in 1952. Mass was celebrated for the first time on January 11, 1953 by the founding pastor, Rev. Joseph M. Sullivan, in a little white stuccoed building, which had formerly served as the local public school. The building, which had been converted to a neighborhood community center, was leased by I.H.M. from the Andorra Association. Ground was broken on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, December 8, 1953, and construction began on the first building—a combination school and chapel, with a convent connected to the school corridor. The first floor of the main building contained a chapel that could accommodate 723 people. The second floor contained nine large classrooms and an office. The first school year opened September 8, 1954 with 171 students. The Sisters of St. Joseph moved into their new convent on November 21, 1954. As enrollment in I.H.M. School grew, needed classroom space was at a premium. Fr. Sullivan decided to start construction on a new church, therefore giving more classroom space to the school. Ground was broken on July 5, 1964, and Archbishop John J. Krol dedicated the spacious new Church on Sunday, August 22, 1965. Fr. Sullivan Hall was added in 1981 beside the school.
This multi-purpose building holds classrooms, a science room, music room, computer lab, library and faculty room. It also serves as an assembly room, lunch room and lecture hall for the elementary school, as well as a meeting area for the many parish organizations that have evolved over the years. The Sacred Heart Chapel, erected in 1995 beside the rectory, provides a worship space that can accommodate up to 120 people. Daily Masses are celebrated here 6 days a week, and the chapel is open for visits throughout the day, every day. Since its inception in 1952, IHM has had four pastors. Succeeding Father Sullivan, who passed away in December, 1976, was Monsignor Walter Conway, who assumed the office in January of 1977 and remained pastor until his retirement in 1996. The third pastor was Monsignor Bartholomew O’Brien who assumed the office in June of 1996 and served until his retirement, June 30, 2006. Our present pastor is Monsignor Joseph McGeown, who came to IHM in July, 2006. IHM parish celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2002. For nearly 60 years, the story of IHM parish has been one of growth and change. The dedication of all those who have readily volunteered so much of their time, energy and faith has contributed to making the IHM Parish Community a beacon of light and a sign of hope and charity in a hostile world.